There really is nothing quite like summertime in the Shenandoah Valley. With warm weather, exciting events, and plenty of opportunities for outdoor fun, there is no room for boredom on your itinerary.
If you’re considering a summer getaway with us at The Inn at Vaucluse Spring, we want to help make your experience in our beloved region as memorable as it can be. So without further adieu, here are our best suggestions for summer activities in the Shenandoah Valley that are perfect for a fun and relaxing getaway that you’ll remember fondly for years to come.
While you’re here, don’t forget to claim your free copy of our Shenandoah Valley Vacation Guide for even more recommendations for local activities, attractions, dining, entertainment, and more.
Get Your Free Guide to the Shenandoah Valley Now!
5 Fantastic Summer Activities in the Shenandoah Valley
1. Get Out and Explore
The Shenandoah Valley is most well-known for Shenandoah National Park and the wide variety of exciting outdoor activities that it provides. Therefore, a visit to our area is nearly wasted without spending some time in the great outdoors.
Here are just a few ideas to help you get started!
- Shenandoah National Park: Located just minutes from our inn in Stephens City, this national park is abundant with hiking trails catered to all skill levels, thrilling bike trails, prime fishing spots, and much more. You could spend a full day in the park and still not experience everything that it has to offer!
- River Tubing: This is a great way to cool off on a hot day while treating yourself to a leisurely float through one of Virginia’s most visually striking regions.
- Horseback Riding: Treat yourselves to a unique Shenandoah Valley adventure on the back of a majestic beast! Rocking S. Ranch and Royal Horseshoe Farm provide the best horseback riding tours in the area.
2. Take an Unforgettable Journey Down Skyline Drive
The Shenandoah Valley Skyline Drive is one of the most scenic drives in the state! The public road winds its way through Shenandoah Valley National Park and exposes its travelers to more than 70 scenic overlooks. Along the way, you can also expect to see plenty of native flora and fauna, wildlife, and awe-inspiring natural features like Mary’s Rock Tunnel.
It’s a fun and memorable journey that everyone in the family will love, and you won’t even have to leave your vehicle to enjoy it!
3. Attend One of Our Fun Summer Events
The summertime ushers in some of the Shenandoah Valley’s most highly-anticipated events. From indulgent food festivals to cultural celebrations, you’ll be sure to find an event to mark into your calendar.
Take a look at the most popular in our region!
- Virginia Herb Festival: Foodies, craft beer connoisseurs, and garden enthusiasts will all get their fix at this fun summer event! Celebrate local agriculture with live music, chef demonstrations, local beer tastings, and craft vendors.
- Shenandoah Valley Blackberry Festival: This exciting event is centered around the blackberry, Virginia’s main summer crop! Visitors to the Blackberry Festival can expect culinary masterpieces and blackberry-infused dishes, live music performances, dancing, and even pony rides.
- Winchester Greek Festival: Immerse yourself in the vibrant Greek culture at this local Winchester, VA event! You’ll enjoy authentic Greek cuisine prepared by the local Orthodox Church, learn traditional Greek dancing, and learn more about the Greek community in Virginia.
4. Visit Local Wineries and Breweries
Eat, drink, and be merry at one of the Shenandoah Valley’s many local vineyards and breweries! It’s the perfect opportunity to challenge your palate, try something new, and experience what makes our craft beverages stand out from all the rest.
Need some assistance in deciding? We can help! Here are the places many of our guests have visited before and raved about.
- Barrel Oak Winery: Recognized as the most family-friendly winery in the world by Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Barrel Oak Winery is a must-see! Stop by to try their award-winning wines for yourself and take a self-guided tour of the production area, which produces 24,000 gallons of wine per year.
- Chester Gap Cellars: This is the northernmost winery in Rappahannock County and provides spectacular views from the tranquil tasting room. Of course, you’ll also want to visit to taste their handcrafted wines including blends of Viognier, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc.
- Winchester Brew Works: Located in Old Town Winchester, is women-owned brewery produces delicious craft beers made with a passion that shines through in every glass. The nano-brewery provides 5-10 constantly changing craft beers on tap for you to choose from, and you’ll be invited to relax with your favorite selection in the tasting room or one of the outdoor picnic tables.
5. Recharge With a Mindfulness Class
Mindfulness is a form of meditation that involves paying attention, on purpose, to our current moment with openness and acceptance. It’s a healthy way to rejuvenate your mind, body, and spirit while improving your overall quality of life. Plus, science shows that the regular practice of mindfulness can reduce both physical and psychological symptoms such as chronic pain, anxiety, insomnia, stress, and more.
The Inn at Vaucluse Spring hosts mindfulness programs, retreats, and classes taught by a licensed mindfulness expert. If you are a guest with us, we highly recommend reserving your spot for one of our Mindful Mornings classes. These lessons are small in size for more personalized attention and are ideal for clearing your mind and starting your day on the right foot.
Classes are designed for inn guests, but we do open spaces for the community whenever spots are available.
Book the Ultimate Summer Getaway at The Inn at Vaucluse Spring
Now that you’re familiar with some of the best summer activities in the Shenandoah Valley, it’s time to book your getaway!
We invite you to escape from your hectic day-to-day schedule and make memories that will last a lifetime with us at The Inn at Vaucluse Spring. Unlike most Shenandoah Valley hotels, our historic bed and breakfast enjoy a tranquil and pristine location with its own private limestone spring. It truly is a magical oasis right in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley.
In addition to warm hospitality and a convenient location near Winchester, our guests are spoiled with a wide variety of unique features and amenities such as accommodations in cozy bed and breakfast rooms, romantic cottages, and Shenandoah Valley cabins. After a full night’s rest in your comfortable guest room, join us for a complimentary three-course breakfast complete with delectable entrees, sweet treats, and locally-sourced coffee and tea.
To add even more to your Shenandoah Valley getaway, don’t forget to check out our irresistible vacation specials and packages! It’s a wonderful way to surprise your loved ones and include just the right touch to your vacation.
Check our availability at The Inn at Vaucluse Spring today and we look forward to welcoming you this summer.